Family of Hope House Church January 2018
On Not Being Anxious in 2018
All of us worry, sometimes imagining worst outcomes in ways that rob us of sleep, appetite and our general joy of living.
With tongue partly in cheek, I've suggested to some folks (and to myself), that we set aside a special time every day for the sole purpose of focusing on worries--whether about finances, family, our future, or whatever. Then at other times of the day (or night), that we postpone dealing with those thoughts and feelings, simply filing them until our designated "Worry Hour".
It sounds wacky, but some folks have actually found this helpful. Of course, if that designated time rolls around and we really can't seem to think of anything worth worrying about, fine. But if there are some things on our worry list that really deserve our attention, we can do some or all of the following:
1. Use a journal to record our worries--raw, unedited, the worst--then write the kinds of responses we might make if a friend or family member were to share these same fears with us. Or write a letter to God, followed by a letter we might imagine a caring God writing to us in response.
2. Share some of our fears with a trusted friend, mentor or family member, via a phone call, visit or email.
3. Pray and meditate, imagining best case outcomes as well as bad ones. 4. Reflect on all of the back-up assets we have in place in case we do suffer a bad illness or accident, experience a financial loss, or lose a loved one.
In short, if we are to worry at all, let's do it with some intentionality and in a way that can offer us more positive results. And not have worries preoccupy our minds 24/7. - Harvey Yoder
Notes, Prayers and Praises
- JANUARY BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS to James Stauffer 1/8, Susan Campbell 1/17, Becky Morlan 1/28, Dick Dumas 1/30! And congratulations to Lewis and Mary Ellen Overholt on their anniversary January 13!
- WE WILL HAVE OUR ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING January 21 in connection with our regular Sunday service, with our treasurers report and the adoption of the 2018 budget.
January Lectionary Texts
7 Genesis 1:1-5 Psalm 29 Acts 19:1-7 Mark 1:4-11
14 1 Samuel 3:1-20 Psalm 139:1-18 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 John 1:43-51
21 Jonah 3:1-5, 10 Psalm 62:5-12 1 Corinthians 7:29-31 Mark 1:14-20
28 Deuteronomy 18:15-20 Psalm 111 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 Mark 1:21-28
January services, worship at 4, meal at 6 pm
7 Location: Park Place, second floor meeting room 564-3716
Worship and sharing: Harvey Yoder
Bible Study: Paul Swarr sandwich/fresh fruit meal
14 Location: Guy Vlasits 1260 Parkway Drive 269-6706
Worship and Sharing: Elly Nelson
Bible Study: Dick Dumas Carry-in meal
21 Location: FLRC, 273 Newman Ave. (ground floor) 432-0531
Worship, meditation and Annual Business Meeting - Harvey Yoder
Finger foods meal
28 Location: Susan Campbell, 1361 Lincolnshire Drive
Worship and Sharing: James Stauffer
Bible Study: Lewis Overholt Carry-in meal